Thursday, January 16, 2014

Activate Force Field!

The anti-kitty cover for my knitting bowl is complete!

Duchrow 85.1

I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. I had a few mishaps during it's creations, the biggest of which was running out of thread. I was using a completely unidentifiable thread (likely something I inherited from my grandmother) so I had no way of getting more to finish the project. Instead, I compared it to a couple other things in my yarn cabinet and came up with something that was the closest match. Unfortunately, "closest" means it doesn't actually match.

The new thread was a bit lighter but it wasn't really noticeable - until blocking. Once I got everything wet, the original thread turned dark tan and the new turned white. Yikes. Fortunately, I had run out of thread at the end of the doily proper so I only had to do the crocheted edging with the new thread. Add in the fact that I also beaded the edging and the color change looks pretty intentional. Thank goodness.

The finished doily is right at 17.5" across, which is a perfect size for my knitting bowl. And the three rows of beads add a nice weight to the edge to keep things down. All in all, I think it worked out pretty awesomely.

Anti-Kitty Force Field

I did manage to unintentionally skip two beads on the last row of beading. I think I'm just going to ignore that, though.

More pictures and notes as well as a link to the pattern can be found on my Ravelry project page.


  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I had to make sure I did something up to the standard of the beautiful knitting bowl!